The information contained in this column is a report of the actions taken by the board members who were present during the open public session portion of the meeting only. It is not a transcript of the official board minutes or an official record of attendance. It does not address board member attendance or actions taken during the executive session that typically follows the open session and is closed to the public.
October 5, 2021
James J. Marrocco, CFSP, president; Bruce Van Tassel, CFSP, secretary; Rita T. Alvarez; Charles F. Bechtold, CFSP; Garrett C. Jones; Aladar G. Komjathy; Curtis S. Macysyn; Matthew Moench; Kim Nesbitt Good; Eleanor Jordan Rudolph, CFSP; and Kara L. Whigham.
Quin Archer, executive director; Wendy Faulk, deputy attorney general.
Susan Berger; George R. Kelder Jr., CFSP, and Althea D. Ford, New Jersey State Funeral Directors Association.
Executive Director’s Report
The Board received seven complaints in August/September for a total of 39 complaints received in 2021.
Twenty-five candidates are registered for the October 7, 2021 Jurisprudence examination.
- Toshiko Butler, Padgett Funeral Home
- Kenisha Campbell, Jorge Rivera Funeral Home
- Karla DeColli, Jeffries & Keates Funeral Home
- Taylor Chantilope, Boucher Funeral Home, LLC
- Spiridoula Dimou, Vander Plaat Memorial Home
- Damaris Fontanes, Newbaker Funeral Home
- Farrah Franco, McGuinness Funeral Home
- Patrick Gardner, Martin Funeral Home
- Lisa Hayducka, Shook’s Cedar Grove Funeral Home Inc.
- Caryn Hilton, DuBois Funeral Home
- Brittany Hoffman, Anderson Funeral Service
- Alexandra Kyllonen, Wright & Ford Family Funeral Home & Cremation Services
- Juan Mendoza-Alvia, Volk Leber Funeral Home (Teaneck)
- Dedra Moore, Garden Hill Funeral Directors Service Inc.
- Thomas Polak IV, Scott & Kedz Home for Funerals
- Michelle Rodriguez, Day Funeral Home
- Emily Shattle, Day Funeral Home
- Danielle Swilley, Adams Funeral Home
- Ryan Taylor, DeGraff Lakehurst Funeral Home
- Tyler Volkers, Cochran Funeral Home
- Harry Watson Jr., G.G. Woody Funeral Home LLC
- Patricia Wind, Mikal’s Funeral Parlor LLC
The Board has registered 72 new interns in 2021.
Licensed by Application:
- Walter Bilotta
- Kyeisha Buckland
- Branon Kincaid
- Alyssa McDonnell
- Patrick Smith
- Angela Trombetta
- Heather Urcinole
- Jennifer Zgola
The Board has licensed 31 individuals by application and seven by credentials in 2021.
- Legacy Growney Funeral Home, Hillside; Manager, Sakina Smith
The Board has registered 12 installations in 2021.
Unlicensed Person Violation
John B. Houston, manager of Cushnie-Houston Funeral Home, signed an Offer of Settlement in Lieu of Formal Disciplinary Action and paid a $7,500.00 penalty for knowingly hiring an unlicensed individual to oversee operations of the funeral home and enabling the individual to perform, arrange and or/participate in funeral services, and accompany human remains to the place of final disposition, in violation of N.J.A.C. 13:36-5.15 and N.J.A.C. 13:36-8.10.
As a condition of the settlement, Houston was required to complete three in-person credit hours in a Board-approved course in Ethics and three in-person credit hours in a Board-approved course in New Jersey Funeral Law within six months of signing the offer.
Mortuary Registration Violation
James Robinson and Lacy Carmack Jr. paid a $5,000 penalty for actions in violation of N.J.A.C. 13:36-4.6A(a) and (b). Specific information was not available as of the date of this publication.
Continuing Education Report
The Board approved the courses listed on the meeting agenda, with several exceptions.
Next Board Meeting
The next Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.